Sunday 1 January 2012

Departure

Hello and Happy New Year to all my wonderful friends and family,

I'm off!
... and this is in no small part due to your support throughout the fall. I feel very lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful people. I would like to give a sincere thank you in particular to those who supported my fundraising efforts. Please remember to send me your addresses so that I can write you a letter from my placement.

Having spent New Year's Eve in the air, I am writing this from Heathrow. The next stop is Nairobi, followed by a very early morning flight to Entebbe. I meet up with the rest of the Restless Development group in a few hours, and it will be so great to finally meet everyone in person. While this is 'officially' the first leg of my journey, I have felt 'unofficially' on my way since early in the fall as I began the process of fundraising, preparing my supplies, getting injections, and studying up on Uganda and the work I will be doing. It seems so unreal to finally be on my way. I am feeling very excited to get there and I am also extremely proud of my packing and what I think is actually a fairly reasonable amount of luggage for 6+ months. I am not known for being a light traveller so this is a big achievement. I could hardly sleep at all on the flight to London and I am hoping that I can rest up on the next leg as I will be hitting the ground running. We start training after only a day's rest, and I feel like everything will move quickly from there. 

Please keep reading, and I will try to update this blog as often as I can. I hope that you all have a fantastic start to 2012.

Love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment